Friday 7 June 2013

T-Shirt DIY #1 Little Pocket














I have so many unused t-shirts in my wardrobe it's unbelievable. So instead of throwing them out, I decided to put them to good use. I put some cute pocket detailing onto this grey t-shirt to jazz it up a bit, and it only took about 15 minutes. Here's how I did it: 

















Before you get started you need to gather up your required tools which is a pair of sharp scissors, some needle and thread, and the fabric of your choice. (And obviously your t-shirt!) I got my fabric off of a dress I never wear from Primark. 

My t-shirt already has a pocket, so I just used that as a guideline to cut my fabric. If your t-shirt doesn't already have a pocket, draw out how you want it to look before you cut it. Don't worry about getting it super precise, you can trim the dodgy bits off after.

Before you get sewing you need to secure your fabric so it doesn't move about whilst your sewing, you can do this using pins, needles, safety pins etc. 

Now it's time to get sewing! Sew as far to the edge as you can, and make sure you don't sew your t-shirt together or sew the top of the pocket together (I learnt the hard way.) Sewing is super easy, you simply thread the needle through one way, then thread it through the other way.

Last but not least, trim off the bits that are hanging off.

I think this is super cute, let me know if you try it. Any t-shirt DIY ideas are surely welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment